Source: ORXA Energies | The 2019 edition of India Bike Week began with a bang as the first bike revved into the main area – The MANTIS; India’s first fully-electric street bike. Coming from ORXA Energies, a Performance Electric Vehicle & Energy Systems startup, The MANTIS is styled as a Naked-Sports Fully-Electric Street Bike aimed at rapidly electrifying all transport.
ORXA Energies, founded in August 2015 by Dr Prajwal Sabnis and Ranjita Ravi, is a boot-strapped company that emerged from Airbus Bizlab, the start-up accelerator of the Aerospace giant, Airbus. The idea of ORXA stemmed from Prajwal’s passion for developing a performance electric solution to his home-town, Bengaluru’s pollution problem, and Ranjita’s dream to make sustainability a profitable business model. From developing a germ of an idea in 2013 to entering into a self-imposed silent period in 2017, that allowed ORXA to focus on product development, target specifications, R&D, filing patents, and securing funding, the company has traversed a long journey to unveil their first-ever bike before the strong biking community.
Speaking about the launch, Ranjita Ravi and Dr Prajwal Sabnis, Co-Founders, ORXA Energies said, “We are proud to launch the MANTIS, the first-of-its-kind fully-electric street bike in India right now. The MANTIS is a Naked-Sports performance electric motorcycle which is set for its commercial launch in mid-2020. Our aim, since inception, has been to provide a credible & seamless electric alternative to serious bikers. Designed as a no-compromise alternative and a seamless shift from ICEs to EVs, The MANTIS is designed with as an engineering-driven, performance-oriented, and customer-validated motorcycles. We are driven to change popular perception about EVs i.e. inadequate range, inferior performance and weak acceleration. And with The MANTIS, we believe we have a winner.”
After this first look, ORXA will be commercially launched in Bengaluru, followed by other Indian cities with a strong biking culture as well as an early-adopter culture. The philosophy of the bike is No-Compromise as no one should have to change their lifestyle or habits to fit an EV, and Seamless because the experience of riding a Mantis should be a seamless experience for the rider.
The frame of The MANTIS is an all-aluminum one that has been designed with great detail. Getting the weight, handling & ease of throwing the bike around turns perfect have been challenging, especially given the massive 9kWh battery pack. The MANTIS will give its riders 200 kms of range on real riding conditions (not idealized).
- Category: full electric naked sportbike
- Real Range: 200 Km per charge | “Real Range” refers to actual range under typical urban driving conditions (accelerations, braking, etc.) Not an idealized range.
- Top Speed: Designed for 140 kmph
- Acceleration: 0-100 in less than 8 seconds
- Charging time: Less than 3.5 hours | Charging on a normal household heating line for the full 9kwh / 200 kms
- Swap Time: Less than 3 min
- Motor Power: Designed for 25KW Peak
- Kerb Weight: 175 Kgs | Inclusive of battery weight
- Battery Pack Weight: 63 Kgs | 9 kWh of energy storage, giving 200 Kms real range in 6 swappable, modular battery packs. Packs are rugged & exposed
- Frame: All-Aluminium | The entire frame is made of Aerospace-grade Aluminium Alloy. The Frame is exposed, aligned with the true Naked Sports segment
- Seat Height: 805 mm
- Wheelbase: 1450 mm
- Suspension: 41 mm Front forks Rear – Monoshock | Shocks are custom designed for Orxa Energies
- Battery Capacity: 9 KWH | 9 kwh in 6 swap-ready modules (1.5 KWH each) Battery Pack | Orxa Battery Packs: Standard, “off-the-shelf”, Lithium Ion chemistry | Orxa’s proprietary design & development. Modular, Swap-Ready, & Stackable. Proprietary BMS & other electronic systems. Validated on 5 different vehicle platforms. Swap network details to be announced along with commercial launch in mid-2020
- Wheels: 17” Alloy Rim
- Dashboard: 7” color display